Friday, July 11, 2008

Reminiscences

This summer, I feel has been a summer of memories. Not being able to go to Kerala as I do yearly, I ended up doing nothing but going to tuition, watching lots of T.V and reading a book once in a while.

Two movies released this summer that reminded me of a younger me. One that hasn’t been seen in a while... Both Indiana Jones and Prince Caspian reminded me of those days when life was carefree and holiday homework was the only worry… Ahh, how I long for those days again.

Seeing Harrison Ford once again in action reminded me of a time when my dad would rent an Indiana Jones video tape as a special treat for doing well in class or as a surprise, and all four of us would sit and watch it with glee. My favourite one had to be Indiana Jones and The Raiders of The Lost Ark. Every time he would ask me which movie to rent, I would point at that very familiar tape, and every time we would rent that I would sit on his lap, eat banana chips and watch the movie with a kind of eagerness that can only be mustered by a young child playing his favourite game with his favourite opponent. Those were the days! Though the movie that just released wasn’t even close to the standards of that old one, it was those memories that held me through. The feeling of my dad’s voice as he repeated the oft told story of him seeing the movie in the theatre as a young boy, and the shady popcorn dealer and other stories. The tears of reminiscence dripped down my face as I watched the movie. Now that I think about it, I wonder what the people around me must have thought of me… It makes me wonder and laugh at myself and the time that has passed by.

A movie is never as good as the book. This phrase is so common that I can easily say I am sick of it; yet I am in total agreement with it. There are barely a few exceptions to this rule and Prince Caspian is not one of them; or so I felt. I am not going to critique the movie as people far more experienced have already passed their verdict. All I am trying to do with that movie is make a memory. I remember reading Narnia when I was younger, under the bed covers with torchlight. I remember all things I used to have to give my sister to make sure she wouldn’t tell of my nightly trysts where the centaurs and Minotaurs came alive, where the trees would dance and the animals would talk and when Aslan shook his head… Spring would come. All the dreams of childhood now fade as they come alive on the screen and I feel sad for the loss of them and the loss of those younger to me who will not be able to experience as I did the magic of CS Lewis’ writing. I feel that once a picture related to an object or person has been put into your head, you will visualise that object like it has been shown. Children will loose their power to imagine… their power to dream. It will be the loss of their childhood.

As I type these words, I remember what my mum used to say when I was younger. She used to tell us about the comics and the books that they used to read which are available no longer. Most have them have become obsolete, and some of them have been converted to movies or series. Though she mourns for our loss, I don’t think any of us has come out with a blocked imagination. So, I believe, that somewhere along the way there will be a saviour who will bring out our imagination and bring to life a generation just like a few writers have brought us up.

3 comments:

kika said...

Awwwie! I love the post and your writing style...
Also, I think, we'll always think of those comics of roadrunner and spy vs spy as movies and cartoons...
But our generation had Harry Potter and the next will have something else...
So its a cycle...
And...Indiana Jones truly sux...at least the new one...

Miriam said...

Thanks!!
The new IJ does suck but to even begin to understand it you've got to see the old ones!! lol!

And I guess someone will come along and save the poor sad souls that join us as the next generation!! XD

Radhika Saxena said...

AWW!!! :)